Your cart is currently empty
How to Take Care of Your Baby's Skin?
Taking care of your baby's skin is an essential part of keeping your little one healthy and happy. Babies have delicate skin that requires gentle and consistent care to keep it soft and healthy. Indeed, it is a misconception and a myth that babies have perfect skin. So, here are some tips that will allow you to grasp how you can take care of your baby's skin.
- Protect from the sun
Direct sunlight can cause damage to a baby's skin, so avoid exposing your baby to direct sunlight, especially during peak hours. Use a hat or an umbrella to provide shade, and use baby-safe sunscreen if you have to be in broad daylight during the day. Apply baby sunscreen during the day whether winter or summer. Undoubtedly, babies have sensitive and fragile skin so choose such skin care products that are free from chemicals.
Do not use sunscreen on a baby under 6 months as, according to studies, it is not considered safe.
If your baby is younger than 6 months and you have to save him/her from direct exposure to the sun. Also, make sure that you take care of the following precautionary measures.
- Use a hat to cover your baby's neck and ears.
- Dress your baby in loose-fitting, breathable clothing that covers the arms and legs, preventing direct exposure.
- Avoid taking your baby out in the sun between the time span of 10 am and 4 pm, when ultraviolet (UV) rays are strongest.
These are the necessary precautionary measures to take so that the baby may not suffer from skin problems due to direct sun exposure.
- Check For Rashes
Rashes are common in babies, as babies have sensitive skin. So, check your baby regularly and change diapers as soon as they are filled. Usually, mothers do not notice that the diaper they are using ill-fits the baby which leads to rash. As a matter of fact, the size of the diaper continuously keeps changing with the baby's growth. Diapers may cause rash to babies due to continuous rubbing from thighs. However, some diapers comprise of Aloe Vera gel and anti-bacterial materials to avoid rashes, but on the other hand the there are many diapers in the market that use rough material which lets to baby rash. So, below are some tips to follow and some mistakes to avoid to prevent rashes.
- Use an anti-rash cream that is specially formulated for babies, or utilize a thick barrier cream that prevents friction and allows moister.
- Let your baby's skin breathe, and instead of diapers, use cloth for a short time span of day. Or can use diapers that prevent your babies skin from rashes as they utilize Aloe Vera gel.
- Usually, babies get rashes on their underarms as well, so make sure that the baby is dry. Also, use chemical-free moisturizers and powder to avoid rashes.
Mistakes to Avoid:
- Avoid excessive use of baby powder, as it can cause respiratory problems.
- Do not let the baby stay in the water for long.
- Avoid rubbing or scratching their skin, and pat them dry after bathing instead of rubbing them with a towel.
- Keep changing diapers when wet.
- Refrain from using oversized or ill-fitted diapers.
All this will help a lot to avoid baby rashes. So, make sure you take all these preventive efforts to avoid rashes.
- Avoid the usage of harsh chemicals
As mentioned earlier, the baby's skin is sensitive and gentle and cannot bare coming in contact with chemicals. Keep your baby away from harsh chemicals. Well, what we mean by harsh chemicals is any kind of chemical that comes in contact with the baby, for instance, laundry detergent used for baby's laundry, lotions, shampoo, or any other product comprised in baby care. Many of the baby care products you purchase locally might have chemicals, so make sure that the products you use for your baby are chemical-free. As they are harmful to the skin and, if used for a longer time span then, can be detrimental to your baby's skin and can cause rashes or irritation. So here are some do's and don'ts for mothers to be vigilant of;
Things to Do:
- Make sure that your baby care products are of a trusted brand.
- Make sure you use mild and soft detergents for your baby's laundry.
Things to Refrain from:
- Avoid the usage of any harsh product in baby bathing care, such as any kind of essence or any kind of baby wash that allows irritation to the skin.
After bathing, apply a mild moisturizer to your baby's skin. Choose a moisturizer that is devoid of fragrances and dyes, and make sure to apply it gently. Use moisturizers that are specifically formulated for babies, and avoid using adult products on your baby's skin. Also, mothers can make use of baby oils. Baby oils and moisturizers can help prevent your baby's skin from becoming dry. They can help lock in moisture and keep your baby's skin soft and supple. Further, if your baby has a diaper rash or other skin irritations, baby oils and moisturizers can help soothe the affected area. You can also look for products that contain ingredients like Aloe Vera or calendula, which have anti-inflammatory properties. Also, massaging your baby with baby oil or moisturizer can be a great way to bond with your little one while also promoting healthy skin. Massaging can improve circulation, promote relaxation, and improve sleep.
So when choosing a baby oil or moisturizer, it is vital to look for products that are gentle and free from harsh chemicals. Avoid products with fragrances, dyes, or other potentially irritating ingredients. Always patch-test a small area of your baby's skin before using a new product to ensure they do not have an allergic reaction.
- Keep Your Baby Clean
Regular bathing is important for your baby's hygiene. Use warm water and a gentle soap that is specially formulated for babies. Avoid using products with strong fragrances or harsh chemicals, as they can irritate your baby's skin. Make sure you use gentle wipes while changing diapers. As the most prone skin is the baby's bottom because the longer the pee or poo's acid comes in contact with the baby's skin, the more harm it may cause. So, ensure you keep the baby's skin clean and dry. Here are some tips that will tell you to avoid some mistakes.
- Use wet cotton balls while you clean your baby's diaper.
- Bathe your baby twice a week, and make sure to use a soft sponge.
- Do not go overboard with bathing or cleaning. As too much washing can actually strip your baby's skin of its natural oils, leading to dryness and irritation.
- Make sure to clean all the creases or pits of your baby's body, including their neck, armpits, and leg pits. These areas can trap moisture and bacteria, leading to rashes or infections.
Therefore, by following these simple tips, you can keep your baby's skin soft and healthy. Remember, a little bit of care goes a long way when caring for your baby's delicate skin.